top of page

DESCRIPTION OF THE CHURCH

50341E20-4256-4804-8FA3-B4989D1276DE.JPG

The Saint-Quentin church is a village church. Raised in height, surrounded by the cemetery, it has been much altered.

Built in the 12th century, it was then smaller: the current choir and the bell tower did not exist. Pieces of walls at the bottom of the bell tower and the basin of the baptismal font still testify to this. At the beginning of the 16th century, it was transformed and new furniture was installed. The bell tower is modified several times.

The Revolution of 1789 and its ideals caused many degradations in Wirwignes as in all of Boulonnais.

Many works were undertaken by the ministers and the municipalities after the revolutionary period, but it was Abbé Paul-Amédée Lecoutre who gave the church its current appearance and interior decoration.

From 1863, date of his appointment until his death in 1906, he devoted his time and his mind to the church: marble paving of the floors and walls, enlargement by the construction of eight chapels, altars of new chapels, creation and installation of stained glass windows, raising of the nave to the height of the choir and the bell tower, new framework, sculpture of the pulpit, of the confessional, sculpture of the letters in cul-de-lampe of the chapels, of the capitals of the columns, sculpture of the statues of the nave and choir, the labyrinth of the Chapel of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, sculpture of the Stations of the Cross in bas-relief, sculpture of the exterior statues of the gables of the chapels, painting of the ceilings, modification and raising of the bell tower.

In 1906, Abbé Lecoutre devoted himself to painting the triumphal arch: he fell from the scaffolding, leaving the current sentence unfinished.

If he called on professionals for this colossal work, Abbé Lecoutre became a tailor and sculptor of stone and wood and is the author of most of the objects classified as Historic Monuments in 1982.   ;

He gave the church a naive decor, full of imagination, rare in religious buildings and which contrasts with its wise exterior appearance. 

MAP OF THE CHURCH

IMG_3965_edited_edited.png

THE PULPIT

Base chaire église Wirwignes .JPG

THE CONFESSIONAL AND THE SIDE DOORS

7472F82E-396E-41C8-A54B-9D691DAEA2DD.JPG

THE HIGH ALTAR AND THE ALTARPIECE

Maitre autel.JPG

THE MOSAICS

IMG_3428.HEIC

THE STAINED GLASS

9B087A3A-EEA6-4800-AB10-A71AF7F8C9F1.JPG

THE PAINTED DECORATIONS

251E86C0-23BF-48DD-91A7-88907AFE6D0D.JPG

THE STATUES

THE SACRED TEXTS

AF6D62E7-4D5F-4A94-BB60-A6C6EADF15F4.JPG

THE WAY OF THE CROSS

Chemin de croix pour panneau .JPG

THE TRIOMPHAL ARCH

Arc triomphal.jpg

CHAPEL OF THE SACRED HEART OF JÉSUS

F1B79D55-7A82-4792-9E9D-9DE724BB0D3F_edited.jpg

SAINT-JOSEPH CHAPEL

IMG_3491_edited.jpg

SAINTE-ANNE CHAPEL

C7E5B8B9-274C-4F8F-A296-74E5FD0FB1FC_edited.png

SAINT-QUENTIN CHAPEL

DC104B26-B36C-4240-9F4C-E75A826748A3_edited.jpg

GROTTO OF LOURDES

445F973C-2146-4F4F-8D7D-2B82A41498DD_edited.jpg

SAINT-ANTOINE CHAPEL

IMG_3811_edited_edited.jpg

THE TOMB OF ABBÉ LECOUTRE 

D41B5A71-9EAD-485F-B39F-FDD0DC4D0C79.JPG
bottom of page