top of page

DESCRIPTION OF THE CHURCH

EC84D783-7A07-4BC7-A1AB-93579BABA1F7.JPG

The Saint-Quentin church is a village church. Raised in height, surrounded by the cemetery, it has been much altered.

Built in the 12th century, it was then smaller: the current choir and the bell tower did not exist. Pieces of walls at the bottom of the bell tower and the basin of the baptismal font still testify to this. At the beginning of the 16th century, it was transformed and new furniture was installed. The bell tower is modified several times.

The Revolution of 1789 and its ideals caused many degradations in Wirwignes as in all of Boulonnais.

Many works were undertaken by the ministers and the municipalities after the revolutionary period, but it was Abbé Paul-Amédée Lecoutre who gave the church its current appearance and interior decoration.

From 1863, date of his appointment until his death in 1906, he devoted his time and his mind to the church: marble paving of the floors and walls, enlargement by the construction of eight chapels, altars of new chapels, creation and installation of stained glass windows, raising of the nave to the height of the choir and the bell tower, new framework, sculpture of the pulpit, of the confessional, sculpture of the letters in cul-de-lampe of the chapels, of the capitals of the columns, sculpture of the statues of the nave and choir, the labyrinth of the Chapel of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, sculpture of the Stations of the Cross in bas-relief, sculpture of the exterior statues of the gables of the chapels, painting of the ceilings, modification and raising of the bell tower.

In 1906, Abbé Lecoutre devoted himself to painting the triumphal arch: he fell from the scaffolding, leaving the current sentence unfinished.

If he called on professionals for this colossal work, Abbé Lecoutre became a tailor and sculptor of stone and wood and is the author of most of the objects classified as Historic Monuments in 1982.   ;

He gave the church a naive decor, full of imagination, rare in religious buildings and which contrasts with its wise exterior appearance. 

Socle Bernardi.JPG

MAP OF THE CHURCH

Sacré-Coeur de Jésus Wirwignes.JPG

THE PULPIT

Soeur Marie Bernard Wirwignes.HEIC

THE CONFESSIONAL AND THE SIDE DOORS

Notre-Dame de Lourdes Wirwignes.JPG

THE HIGH ALTAR AND THE ALTARPIECE

Saint Jean-Marie Vianney Wirwignes .HEIC

THE MOSAICS

Sainte Thérése Wirwignes.JPG

THE STAINED GLASS

Sainte Therese Bernardi Wirwignes.png

THE PAINTED DECORATIONS

Sainte Jeanne d'Arc Wirwignes.HEIC

THE STATUES

Saint Joseph Wiriwignes.HEIC

THE SACRED TEXTS

Saint Silvestre Wirwignes.JPG

THE WAY OF THE CROSS

Saint Antoine Wirwignes.png
texte suite

THE TOMB OF ABBÉ LECOUTRE 

Statue_de_Jeanne_d'Arc_à_Saint-Louis-des-Français-de-Rome,_signée_Vermaere_2.jpeg

THE TOMB OF ABBÉ LECOUTRE 

Couverture pelerin  1909.jpeg

THE TOMB OF ABBÉ LECOUTRE 

THE TOMB OF ABBÉ LECOUTRE 

Sainte Thérèse de Lisieux Saint-Pierre de Saint-Julien.jpeg

THE TOMB OF ABBÉ LECOUTRE 

THE TOMB OF ABBÉ LECOUTRE 

900px-Wirwignes_monument_aux_morts.jpg

Source Wiki Pas de Calais

Le monument aux morts de Wirwignes, érigé derrière le choeur de l'église,  participe du même mouvement de commémoration de la victoire et aussi de mémoire des soldats. Installés sur un escalier, un calvaire montre le Christ en croix, à ses côtés sur deux piédestaux, la Vierge et Saint Jean. Devant eux, un soldat sans casque (posé à côté de lui) repose sur le sol retourné d’un terrain de guerre mais avec encore son fusil et son sac, la main sur le cœur. Sous le calvaire, une inscription : « Dieu protège la France 1914-1918 Priez pour les glorieux enfants de Wirwignes morts au champ d’honneur ».

Il s’agit du Soldat Mourant de Jules Déchin.

Après des études à l’École des Beaux-Arts de Lille où il était né en 1869, Jules Déchin fut admis à celle de Paris, dans les ateliers de Jules Cavelier et d'Henri Chapu.

Lauréat du prix Jean-Baptiste Wicar  il réalisa et vendit ses œuvres en France et partout dans le monde.

Après la Grande Guerre, il réalisa de nombreuses statues pour les monuments aux morts. On trouve dans le catalogue du fondeur Durenne plusieurs modèles de son Poilu Mourant. Ils furent acquis par de nombreuses villes et villages.

 

Le Soldat Mourant de Wirwignes fut fondu par Prouvost-Denonvilliers de Tourcoing, spécialisée dans la statuaire religieuse. On peut lire leur fiche sur e-monumen.net.

Un article sans référence conservé aux Archives Diocésaines rend compte de l’inauguration du monument aux morts de Wirwignes.

Wirwignes_monument_aux_morts_détail_du_Poilu.jpg

Source Wiki Pas de Calais

Autre statues Bernardi

Autres statues de Bernardi

 

Plusieurs statues sont encore conservées dans d’autres églises du Pas-de-Calais :

 

  • Statue de Saint Benoît Labre – Église Saint-Nicolas- Boulogne-sur-Mer

Sculpture en plâtre moulé, peint polychrome, H 135 x l 37 X pr 31

Signée Bernardi Saint-Omer, antérieure à 1920

Notice P.O.P. Michèle Rougier 1996 )

 

  • Statue de la bienheureuse Jeanne d’Arc – Église Saint-Denis- Saint-Omer, chapelle de l’Ange Gardien

Sculpture en bois peint et en plâtre moulé, polychrome, doré, 120X 82 ( 153 avec le socle )

La statue est signée M.RAFFL/PARIS et sur le socle BERNARDI, à St-Omer, entre 1909 ( béatification ) et 1920 ( canonisation ) ( Notice P.O.P. Julien Marasi, Bruno Decrock 2010 )

 

  • Groupe sculpté ( petite nature ) : Sainte Bernadette, avec un chapelet, agenouillé devant l’Immaculée Conception sur un rocher – Église Saint-Nicolas- Boulogne-sur-Mer

Sculpture en plâtre moulé, peint polychrome, 230 x 180 X 70

Signée Bernardi Boulogne-sur-Mer,  « entre 1920, date de sa venue à Boulogne-sur-Mer et 1939 »

Notice P.O.P. Michèle Rougier 1996 )

 

  • Statue de Sainte Philomène, Église Saint-Georges de Crochte ( Nord ) Photographie P.O.P. 1993 de Pierre Thibaut

 

  • Saint-Sulpice de Lumbres

 

  • La décoration et la statue actuelle de Notre-Dame de la grotte de Lourdes de l’église de L’Immaculée-Conception de Wimereux ont été réalisées par Georges Bernardi en 1939. Il s’agissait d’une restauration et d’un réaménagement de la chapelle qui a été déplacée de la chapelle de la Vierge vers la chapelle des fonts baptismaux. La statue était alors couronnée  

( voir le site https://sauvonsleglisedewimereux.fr/2017/05/14/la-chapelle-notre-dame-de-lourdes/ ).

bottom of page